Thursday, July 21, 2011

You See, I do Have Other Flowers

Not many, I'll admit, but, enough to keep from being labeled totally obsessed.  I'm not a great gardener.  If a plant requires coddling, it's not for me.  So, most of the stuff in my gardens are plant 'em and forget 'em types.
Lantana - I tried a new color this year and, though I love the brightness of it, it doesn't seem to be growing as well as it has in the past.
Bidens Ferulifolia.  New this year, and grows like a crazy thing.
Salvia.  The first mad bloom faded and I cut it back.  It then comes back with a second bloom, smaller and a little more civilized.
Black-eyed Susan.  Just beginning to bloom.  One of the flowers that lets me know that high Summer is, indeed, here.  Though, today, I didn't need any reminder.  I went out at 7 AM to turn the sprinklers on in some areas that are in shade in the morning, and take a few pictures.  I was, literally, dripping wet from sweat by the time I got back in.  I give those of you who live in the South a lot of credit.  I just can't take this stuff.

Because I can't resist it, a couple of new daylilies.
Nova Lavender
An unknown.  This is one of the first that I bought, and I didn't bother keeping track of the name.  But, I've always loved its fierce red color, and I love that it blooms so late and is till going strong after most of the other daylilies are gone.
And, finally, something that is not a flower.  I had to laugh, yesterday, when TexWisgirl posted some pictures of crows, because I had been trying all day to get some pictures of the crows around here.  I threw some bread down, hoping to attract them.  The crows here are very shy, and, every time I went to the window, they'd see me and fly away.  I finally got a couple of mediocre shots when they landed in the big pine tree behind the stone wall in my back yard.  I've always had a soft spot in my heart for these big, noisy and kind of rude birds.  They remind me of teen-aged boys, all bluster and bravado, yet endearingly awkward.

It's going to be brutally hot around here today, and in a large part of the nation.  We have a very good chance of tying or beating the record high for the day.  I'm staying in, and staying quiet and hydrated.  I hope that all of you fighting this stuff take good care of yourselves, too.  Put your feet up, and relax.  But, most of all, have a great day.

14 comments:

fromsophiesview said...

Am I missing something? You changed the name of your blog...wtg...love it for sure! Always time for a change up...right!

TexWisGirl said...

glad you caught the crows! love the pine they're sitting in, trying to stay cool. can't believe they don't come down to your feeder area more and let you snap away...

my lantana comes back each year here, but this year is really struggling to stay alive. i water every day but the sun just leaches out any moisture in it every day...

try to stay cool!

Sharon said...

Is there some medicinal value in Salvia? I remember when my son was in high school - he wanted me to grow some (Or something that had the same sounding name) - I didn't. :-)

Dar said...

For not being a gardener, your flowers are wonderful. I'd say you are doing ' right well,' at gardening.
Cool crows, them nasty noisy things.
BlessYourHeart Stay cool now and thanks for the prayers. They do work.

Liesl said...

The first one BF..is known as Lantana here in RSA and is an invader plant,poisonous to animals! Love the others! My garden is a sad case of neglect at this stage I am afraid!

Jim said...

Yes, I love the new title! Very apt.
Did you know that you are to receive a 'letter' when there are three crows together? Well, according to Nova Scotia legend ( and you know that it must be right,LOL) the saying goes:
One crow sorrow, two crows joy, three crows a letter, four crows a boy.....now I know you needed to know this!
The day Ron's Mom's passed away, we looked out her window and there was one crow just sitting there all by itself.....

Jim said...

Oh yes, I forgot to say that your flowers are beautiful! Love that deep red/orange lily!

My Mind's Eye said...

I love your description of crows!! Spot on for sure!!

Your flowers make me smile with their vibrant colors. I love lantanas too. Yours is quite colorful. I don't think I saw that color when I bought my yellow lantana.

Hugs Madi and Mom

Terry said...

So pretty, Louise. Sigh.

Tina said...

Lovely pictures, great colours!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hi Louise!! Am I the only one who is still getting used to the new title of your blog? :-)) I'm also wishing for a change in the weather--It was brutal here today when the temp went over 100...

But I love your pictures and agree with the other thoughts that for someone who doesn't think they have a green thumb, your flowers are just lovely!! If you want to see a brown thumb, come and look at my flowers...There's a reason why I've not taken pictures lately! :-)

Stay cool and take care!!

Reena said...

Love the pictures and descriptions. I'm kind of like you, don't have much patience to coddle the plants.
It's been so hot here ... almost 100 today. Ugh!

Dreaming said...

Lantana, in all of its varieties, is one of my favorites. Your's is very bright and colorful!

Horsin' Around said...

Your flowers all look lovely and bright. Love the bidens, it's not common around here.
Your crows could be teenagers. Crows are family birds and 'teenagers' may even help their parents with their next nest of youngsters.