Sunday, July 10, 2011

Out of My Rear Window 7-10-11

Up early again, to clouds, much to my surprise.  Mr. Tom and the Ladies were dining early.
But, it didn't take long for the squirrels and this adorable little chipmunk to follow suit.
Mr. and Mrs Goldfinch were dining, also, but at separate tables.

And, then, he snuck off to the bar for a drink.  This doesn't bode well.
There's one new daylily in the garden this morning, and, it's a doozy, Emerald Enchantment.

Just look at that bright emerald eye.
Strutter's Ball is putting on a real show.
In fact, that whole little garden is doing the same, just overflowing with color.
The white coneflower is blooming.  There's a story behind this.  A friend asked if I wanted any coneflowers, since she had to thin out.  I said sure, and she brought me a box full, early in the Spring of 2010.  When they started to bloom, I noticed that one of them was white.  Surprised, I called her to thank her for it, and she was very surprised.  "I don't have any white coneflowers," she said.  We figure it might be a mutant, and I think that she's just a bit disappointed that it ended up in my garden.  This year, it appears to be multiplying, and I think that, next year, I'll surprise her by giving her back a plant or two of it.
A couple of hours passed, the clouds disappeared, and it is a bright and beautiful day.  I'm going to enjoy it, and I hope that you enjoy your day, also.

11 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

ooh. the white coneflower! what a nice surprise! and chippy is just too cute!!!

LOL on the goldfinch sneaking off to the bar. had me rolling! :)

Sharon said...

Cute post!

Ever think about flower colors having anything to do with what you feed your soil? Maybe that is the reason behind the white cone flowers? I thought about that with your pink hydrangeas....

Have a great day now!

betty said...

I liked how you told this in a cute little story; LOL with the finch to the bar! such great pictures! What a nice surprise too with the white coneflower! Beautiful!!

I do hope you enjoy your day!

betty

Genny said...

Coneflowers are some of my favorite flowers! They're so easy to grow and brighten the summer flowerbeds. I miss gardening so much. Loved reading this post.

Lisa Sall - Sall's Country Life said...

What a beautiful back yard and no wonder the neighborhood likes to dine there!! Cute post, loved all the photos!

Terry said...

It's always good to see the turkeys, and the day lilies are gorgeous (sniff sniff).

desertsandbeyond said...

Beautiful photos, especially the white coneflower! And, I loved the squirrels and chipmunk. We saw some up in the Sierra Nevada when we were there for 4 nights.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Your yard looks so peaceful and serene Louise! I love the white cone flowers, and at my other house I had some crazy hybrid that was black...It wasn't nearly as striking, which was why I didn't mind leaving it behind.

Dreaming said...

I love the chipmunk. I miss their cuteness.

I want coneflowers, too! I've planted some in the past, but they never made it. Too dry or too cold - not sure which.

Dreaming said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Pretty flowers!