Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Government of the People, by the People, for the People.

I've been dithering all morning about whether or not to write this.  It's a great departure from the tone of my usual blogging.  I may offend some of you, and, for that, I'm sorry.  But, it is my honest opinion that it is time for the citizens of this United States to take a stand and take our government back.

A new feeling is sweeping the country.  We are beginning to wake up and realize that we are being manipulated by members of both parties.  That politicians don't work for the people any more, they work for themselves, and for the corporate interests that finance their elections.  If nothing else, the speeches we listened to last night proved that.  It's all about agenda, agenda, agenda, on both sides.  We don't need sides, especially at this critical time in our nation's history.  We need people willing to work together, to give and take, to solve the problems that we all face.

There was a new movement started today.  Those of you with facebook can find it here.

https://www.facebook.com/EnoughIsEnoughMarch?sk=wall#!/EnoughIsEnoughMarch?sk=info

There is a website here:
http://www.coffeepartyusa.com/EnoughMarch

What is being proposed, as a beginning, is a PEACEFUL march on Washington.  Date and time have not been established yet, but the purpose is to try and make those inside the Beltway more aware of what the average American citizen is feeling and thinking about how this country is being run.

All I'm asking is that you take the time to read and come to your own conclusion.  If you like the idea, pass it on, in any way that you can.

I'm going.  Heck, I've done this before, though never in Washington.  I even threw a tomato at Gov. Nelson A. Rockefeller once.  Ran like hell after I did it, I was so scared.  Wouldn't do that again.  I can't run fast enough now.  But I can stand shoulder to shoulder with my fellow Americans and let the political machines in Washington know that we're waking up and realize what's happening.

So, what good does it do for one blogger to spread the word to all 85 of her followers?  Well, maybe not much.  But, maybe, if enough old ladies who normally blog about things like flowers, squirrels and Turkey Ladies, take a stand, and say their piece, we will make a difference.

I'm a Boomer.  I lived through the '60's and participated in some of the momentous events of that era, though I was, by no means, an important player, just one of many.  Vietnam, Civil Rights, Women's Rights, we tackled them all.  So, light up the fire that used to burn in your belly and take another stand.  This time, it's for us, and our children and grandchildren.

16 comments:

Stella said...

Hi Louise:
I read your comments on Rompin' in the Rockies and then came to look at your blog.

Thanks for a well written, well thought out blog. The time HAS come where we have to stop putting up with the political nonsense in this country. Its always (with me) what can one person do. I will go visit your coffee party blog and see what is there and what one person (who doesn't travel) can do.

All best wishes,

Jo in MN

BlueRidge Boomer said...

I'm with you sister...!!!

Become a SNOB like me....SNOB stands for Send No One Back to DC for another term.....

Great Post..!!
Enjoy

Sharon said...

America will go under if something isn't done fast. I feel like the people running our government, are acting like spoiled kindergartners. They know we have a deadline and yet can't get their acts together and act like grown-ups. They all need to be removed, but until we can do that, they better get their bleep together! I am not generally politically motivated, but, this mess has gone on long enough.

R. Burnett Baker said...

I absolutely agree, Louise, with the broad spectrum of your post and of the coffeepartyusa.com website. I have read through only a portion of that site.

As I mentioned in my latest post, I offer bits and pieces of "rants" against some of this on my other blog. My main message would be, I suppose, is that we Americans have been dumbed-down since the 60's through the educational systems ON PURPOSE, and subsequently bought-off with entertainment and toys by what I termed many years ago ( and have written about) the "corprotocracy."

We are subservient to our ignorance, which has been planned and programmed by the corporate lords that literally rule the world. I believe that most of our "high" government officials, i.e. the Congress, Senate, and Executive are all essentially appointed by this corprotacracy. We the people probably have not elected a president since Eisenhower or Kennedy.

But before I get lost in this screed, I want to study the links you posted. I have no love for either party. One essay on the coffee link almost sounded like a veiled effort of Democrats, but PLEASE help convince me that it's not!! Both parties are corrupt, and both are not being held accountable....no I hate that milktoast word....being held RESPONSIBLE for the horrible mess we average citizens are in.

I'm interested! If there are any activities in the Rochester area email me, Louise. I'm working hellish hours this month, but would like to know more...

Rick

JJ Roa Rodriguez said...

Fight for your right and for the things that you think is for the better of the future generations of your country. We have been doing that in the Philippines but sad to say that the lack of concern from the people is the one killing it. We have fought and won big fights for the national concern but we haven't won any in locals. People tend to take the small things these politicians give then not knowing the consequences.

God bless!

JJRod'z

My Mind's Eye said...

Well said Louise....and so true.
Hugs Madi and Mom

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Right on, Sister! Thanks for this.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Thanks for sharing. You are very inspirational and motivational. Loved what you wrote and how you wrote it.
Now, I'm off to check out those links.

~Lisa

Dreaming said...

Well said. I am so tired of political rhetoric that has nothing behind it... except a desire to please whoever has the deep pockets.

I am impressed by your tomato throwing! Still chuckling about that!

Judith said...

Well said Louise. The US financial crisis has been leading the New Zealand news for the last few days.

Anonymous said...

Why Louise, you really ARE an old hippie! Great post! Things are just as bad in Canada, with a climate-denier Prime Minister on the side of big business and corporate tax cuts. You go, girl!

P.S. Do you know the Rosevelt 'I welcome their hatred' speech? You can hear it on youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA1Mc2HsL2Q

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Louise, I totally agree with you and last nights fiasco on prime television was just ridiculous! I am so tired of the finger pointing and fault finding! I do have to say that I really think that in the end they'll find some kind of compromise and then be patting themselves on the back for the job they got done, and will want all of us to be so proud of them....grrrrrrr.....it gets my hackles up!!!

Jim said...

Now if you can get Jon Stewart behind this, if he isn't already, he may have some clout. I know exactly what you are talking about and have demonstrated in the past and have even 'occupied' a university president's office once....yes in the 60's!
It's time again for another 'shake-up' and get back our say in our governments. It's the same in all 'western' countries. People are getting pissed off and tired of the rich getting richer.....you know the rest.
I will certainly spread the word.

Sandra said...

Louise, it's the same story all over the world: Slovenia, Italy, Greece to name just a few. Like Sharon said, it's like in kindergarten! The politicians only care of themselves and for providing for themselves, it's beyond sad. I love the idea of you joining the peaceful march! Sure, one person probably can't change the world, but if everybody thought that we'd still be in the middle ages. A group of people has power though! March on!

Samantha said...

I'm in agreement with Jim..it's about time we make our voices heard. We all complain, but no one is DOING anything. Shake things up!

Loved this post, Louise!

Lisa Sall - Sall's Country Life said...

Ahhh, I also love this post Louise! I was just asking my 60 year old husband..."where are all the hippies and why aren't they out revolting this crappy government now?" We are so tired of the rhetoric coming from the White House!!! You go girl and I'm off to check out your links now.