Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Odds and Ends

Just a few random pictures, none of them enough to make a whole blog about.
Turkey Lady and Squirrel
I finally got you, Mr. Crow
The family.  It must have been the time of day and the location of the sun, because I've never caught that weird reflection before, but it was on every single picture.  I wasn't going to include it, but then I figured, meh, the Turkey Family hasn't had their space in quite a while.
And, lastly, this little daylily.  I don't know its name, but I know that it's a survivor.  It's planted in a container that doesn't drain very well.  In a normal year, that doesn't prove to be a problem.  But, we had an extremely wet Spring.  I never gave it a thought until one day, well into the wet weather, I noticed that there was about an inch of standing water on top of the soil.  I dumped it, and kept an eye on it after that, but it looked like it was too late.  For a long time, that little plant stood still, not growing at all.  I was thinking about digging it up, but the little bit that was above the surface was green and healthy. 

So, I let it be, and, one day, late in Spring, I noticed that it was finally growing.  I thought "Good, I'll just let it grow this year, even if it is too late for it to produce flowers.  Maybe it will regain enough health to bloom next year."  Then, a few weeks ago, unbelievably, it sent up a scape.  And, yesterday, that little daylily bloomed.  Oh, the scape only has two buds on it, and the little flower isn't perfect.  But, how can you not admire a plant that persists through the terrible odds that this one had.
 May we all have the perseverance to survive through tough times that this little one has.

11 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

and if we come out the other side looking that beautiful, we'd be in great shape... :)

LOVE the turkey ladies. :)

Sharon said...

Some things take a lot of abuse or neglect and still are successful, plant and animal alike. It's pretty!

Pretty soon you are going to have to call them the Turkey Gang or something, you know there is that chance that it will grow!

Samantha said...

I'm with Tex..if only I came out of my trials looking half that good!

Love the crow shot and the Turkey Ladies :)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Such a lovely and unusual color, too!

~Lisa

Cat said...

I see you have some of the same neighbors I do! And that is a lovely flower. Sometimes it seems like you pamper and nurse a plant, it dies. You abuse the living crap out of it, it flourishes. Go figure.

Cat

Anonymous said...

Daylilies are tough. Ya gotta love that in a plant...and other things as well.

Jim said...

Goes to show that there is 'room' for us all and we are all important!
Nice post.

KB said...

I always love seeing the turkeys, weird reflection or not!

And, your lily is simply beautiful to my eye. I love persistence like that lily has shown.

Terry said...

I was so busy enjoying the turkeys I didn't see the reflection.

John Going Gently said...

i have one female turkey like your visitors.... she's a bugger always hiding away in the long grass at bedtime

Reena said...

Love your turkeys! Wish I came out the other side looking as good as that Lily!