Monday, July 11, 2011

I Thought I'd Forgotten How to Count

For the past couple of years, the Turkey Ladies have graced my yard with their presence.  There are five of them, four plain girls and one with a beard (which statistically is correct, about 20 percent of hens have a small beard.)  Today I was going about my business, looked out the window and thought to myself "How nice, there are the Turkey Ladies, way out in the very back yard."

Then, I did a double take, because there weren't five Ladies, there were more.  You have to look closely at this picture, but, there are eight, and only one has a little beard.
There are three to the left in a group, one kind of cut off at the margin, three in the middle, and two on the right.  So, are these my Turkey Ladies, with, maybe, some poults from this year?  Or, is this a new group that just happened upon my yard?

Later on in the day, some of them were up at the feeders, this time with a Tom.  But, again, is it my Mr. Tom, or a new guy, with his own harem.
It'll be fun to see, in the coming days, if I can determine if the Ladies had babies, or if this is a new group.

11 comments:

Jim said...

Can't believe that these critters just meander about and pop over whenever they want! We get all excited about pheasants which we see in the spring only.
Is that your veggie garden to the right? Looks very good and moving right along.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I love it when the wild turkeys come to visit !
They know where to get a good buffet :)
We have a lady turkey and six babies visit every evening, my guess is they roost in the woods at the bottom of the property.
Great shot !
~Jo

Sharon said...

Don't you wish you could band their legs with colors so you could tell who was who?

Janet said...

Sigh ! you have such lovely visitors to your garden .

TexWisGirl said...

really neat either way!!! (they're telling their friends, then they tell two friends, and so on, and so on...) :)

Anonymous said...

Louise's House: Turkey Central! How wonderful.

Terry said...

I hope it's your ladies with babies!

Upupaepops said...

I agree, they might be this years young

!

8-D

KB said...

Very very cool! I love all your turkey photos. Wouldn't the babies still be small? But, then again, isn't it late for a Tom to have a harem? I'm confused... I can't wait to hear what you figure out.

betty said...

They look cute, no matter who they belong to!!

betty

JJ Roa Rodriguez said...

A nice backyard and garden deserves to be visited with the lovely turkey ladies...

Cute post...

JJRod'z