Friday, July 15, 2011

Cottage Garden Daylily Farm

Oh, what a day I had yesterday.  I went on a trip to Cottage Garden Daylily Farm, http://daylily.net/gardens/cottagegardens/ to buy some new daylilies.  I had never been there before, and when I got there, I was pretty overwhelmed.  It's big, and it's beautiful.  The gentleman who owns this place is very nice, and very knowledgeable.  He knows, I think, just where each one of his 3,000 cultivars are.  They do ship, in the US, and I would recommend this place very highly.




In the main garden, there are lovely little places all around, where you can sit and rest for a bit, in the shade.
That included a lovely little pond, where bullfrogs were croaking and singing.

The daylilies were gorgeous, so many, all so beautiful that it was hard to pick just a few.





But, in the end, I managed to narrow it down to only seven, and here they are.  These aren't my pictures.  I got so excited looking that I forgot to take pictures of the ones I chose.
Cajun Sunshine
Dancing Crab
Alexa Kathryn
Golden Tentacles
Among My Souvenirs
 Forty-Second Street
 Hot Town
I spent the late afternoon and early evening planting them.  Some have buds that will blossom this year, and some are done blooming, so I'll have to wait to see them until next year.  It was a very busy day and I went to bed tired, but very happy.

11 comments:

Sharon said...

It won't be long and your place will look like the Day Lily Farm! Lots of pretty ones there!

Samantha said...

I would LOVE to visit a daylily farm!
How exciting..you are a strong woman to walk away with only 7!
I'll check out their site, too.

Anonymous said...

Louise, I'm glad you had a good day. What a beautiful place! I'm impressed that you were able to settle on just seven : ) Your choices are all beauties that I'm sure you'll derive a lot of pleasure from. Lovely.

TexWisGirl said...

i'd have spent all my time sitting at the frog and lily pond and walking under that gorgeous arbor. :)

Sarah said...

so lovely! I'll have to send a link of this post to Mom. She loves Lilys! Thank you for sharing!

Sandra said...

That place looks close to heaven! What a great selection you made. Can't wait to see them bloom in your garden.

My Mind's Eye said...

What a glorious day you had to walk about every single one of those beautiful lillies. I espeically liked the close ups of each. I could never have picked a favorite.

Hugs Madi and Mom

Terry said...

What a treat!

Lori Skoog said...

That is some farm. I especially love those with the curly edges.

fromsophiesview said...

I knew there were many varieties of day lilies and I think you cornered them....lovely I have 2 or 3 only!

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Looks like a perfect day! Next year your garden will be more beautiful because of it. I recognize some of the daylilies, I have a few of them in my garden. Lovely photos and glad you had such a wonderful day.