Monday, May 3, 2010

It Ain't the Woods, But

Yesterday was a weird day, weatherwise, here. The forecast said scattered showers and thunderstorms. And, all day, we would have periods of sun, followed by periods when it got so dark that you were just sure that it was going to pour any minute. Because of that, I decided to not even try to go back into the woods. It would be just my luck that, even if I made it past the poison ivy, I would be all the way back to the bay when it would start to thunderstorm. As it was, it never rained a drop.

So, I decided to do something a little different. I decided to see how many wildflowers I could find in my yard, and in the woodsy brush surrounding it. I found quite a few, and even a mystery flower.

Who doesn't know these, the common Dandelion? Such a maligned little flower. If you really stop and look at them, they are quite beautiful.



Most of the flowers that I found yesterday are called "common." As if there is anything common about any flower.

Common Mustard -- I have to admit that I yanked this plant up, after I photographed it. They are very beautiful, but they can spread like wildfire.



Common Mullein -- this plant (or one just like it) has been growing just into the woods by my house for a few years now. I love to watch it grow, with its' huge flower stalk, but I will admit that, by fall, it looks pretty ratty. Hmmm, I see wild raspberry and a little maple tree in that shot, also.



Common Chickweed. I never stopped and took a good look at these tiny flowers before. They are very beautiful. They're just so tiny that they don't show up very well when the picture is reduced to this size. You might be able to see them better if you use this link. http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1470/5975278/21946947/386623444.jpg



Common Blue Violet -- If anyone ever read "Anne of Green Gables" when they were young, you may remember that one of her favorite places was "Violet Vale." When I was a kid, I was thrilled to find a place, not far back into the woods, that was just covered with these violets. I, of course, named it "Violet Vale," even if it was on top of a little hill. Bad kid that I was, I dug a few up and Mom planted them in her garden. They are now all over, in the gardens, and in the yard. I suppose those people who like pure lawn, would be upset, but, I love them there.



There's nothing common about this one -- Sweet White Violet -- I love these things, and from a couple of plants my Mom got from an Aunt years ago, they have also spread all over my yard and gardens.



Woodruff -- This I got from a friend a couple of years ago, but, I did find a large patch of it back in the woods a couple of weeks ago.



I'm just calling this Buttercup for now, but, I don't think that's the right name. I'm sure it's some kind of Buttercup, but all the identifications I could find show them as single flowers, not doubles like this. I have an S.O.S. out to a friend who really knows her wildflowers, and I'll update when I hear from her.

Edited to add that "Lilacs and Roses" http://lilacsandroses.blogspot.com/ identified this plant for me as a double celandine poppy. And, all this time, I thought it was a buttercup.




Thyme Leaved Speedwell -- This is my big "find" of the day. I could NOT get a clear picture of it, but, as you can see by my big thumb in the corner, it is a very tiny plant. The flower is beautiful, almost like a miniature Sweet White Violet.



Here's the mystery flower for the day. I'm a novice using Newcomb's Wildflower Guide, and I just could not find it there. The darn thing is so tiny that I can't even quite tell if it has four or five petals. I'll try again, and see if I can update.



This plant grows with abandon under my big evergreen. I usually pull it out, but I'm a little late this year because I have been working on gardens. Just as I went to yank it yesterday, I noticed it had flower buds. So, I'll just leave it until it flowers, and see if I can identify it. "Lilacs and Roses" also identified this plant as sheep sorrel. Thank you so much for those identifications!



This bush is everywhere along the edge of my yard. I'm constantly cutting it back. It has a pretty pink flower, which is just beginning to bud now. It's another I'm anxious to see it in flower this year, to see if I can identify it.



So, not bad for just wandering around the yard, eh? But, not quite as much fun as going back here and poking around. This was taken from the drop off behind my yard.

9 comments:

Tina said...

lmao the common dandilion, that's funny, we have those too lol....I noticed yesterday on the drive to the Farm there were tons of triliums on the side of the road, so pretty. I don't know flowers that well, but dandilions and trilliums, I can spot. lol

Upupaepops said...

I carry a magnifying glass and my reading glasses for those little dickens.

The reading glasses are a new trend, I need them to work my camera well.

sigh

Sharon said...

Good Morning! I probably have (or had) a lot of those in the yard, but the guys mow everything, even the good stuff! I know I have violets in the spring before the mower gets out, and of course dandelions. The nice thing about having a blog - I can always look up what someone else has put in!

I blew that mystery flower up - looks like 4 petals to my old eyes. We get a bunch of them in the spring, before the lawn needs to be mowed.

IsobelleGoLightly said...

I think you need a couple of goats to help you prune your wildflowers... hee hee

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

and the dandelion's are healthy for ya.

Sandra said...

These are all beautiful flowers. Who got the idea to call them weeds? They are just resistant green plants, which I prefer to the crunchy brownish grass we get in the summer, in spite of all the watering. My hubby is more delicate about our lawn, but I like the variety:) And so do my turtles!

Roses and Lilacs said...

Hi Louise, I lost my first comment, hope I'm not doubling up. Followed your link from Tammy's Fairlight Farms page. You have an interesting blog.

I may be able to help with a couple of your weeds. The yellow flowered plant is a double celandine poppy. I have them in my wild flower garden. The ground hugging plant with the arrow shaped leaves is sheep's sorrel. Sheep's sorrel is edible but should be cooked instead of eaten raw. Sorry, I can't help ID your shrub, maybe when it blooms.
Marnie

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hi Louise!! I really appreciate your walking us through all the wild flowers because I have many of the same ones, but don't know what most of them are--So today, you taught an old dog something new!! Thanks for that!! :-)

Inger said...

What a lovely photo essay of all the pretty wildflowers. You should see the mustards that grow here, the Tumble Mustards. I'm on their case this year though and hope to prevent the invasion I had last year. They are still out there, all dry and tumbling in wind. I have buttercups too and some blue flowers now. Thanks for sharing -- Inger