Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Day in the Life

I had a good day, yesterday. Good friends, good shopping, good flowers, who could ask for anything more?

I started the day going to the post office. They had a beautiful bush in bloom there, that I haven't the slightest idea what it is.



Their lilacs were in full bloom, also. They smelled wonderful!



From there, it was off to where I used to work, to deliver some excess flowers to a friend. Here's a picture of two of my good work friends, Jaime and Kathy. You know, one of the good things about working for a large company is that you get to meet people of all ages. These two girls are much younger than I am. I probably would have never gotten to be friends with them if I hadn't had the opportunity to work with them, because, at their young age, they tend to do have different interests than I do. I'm very glad I got the opportunity to know them.



The flowers I brought to Kathy are "yellow flowers." I was told by the person that gave them to me that they are Evening Primrose. They're not, but I have yet been able to figure out what they are.



Jaime had some coneflowers for me. I know just where they are going to go.



From there, after a quick detour home to sit out a thunderstorm, it was off to Bauman's Farm Market to buy my annuals. I spent a fun hour or so wandering around their 10 greenhouses. This is what I ended up with. I could have bought twice as much.




I was very thirsty after I did all of that browsing so, before I went home, I stopped at Tim Horton's to get something cold to drink. Tim Horton's is a Canadian outfit that has, in the last few years, started to move into the US. They have doughnuts, and the most wonderful coffee, hot and cold.



I splurged and got a large butter caramel "Iced Capp." Iced Cappacino, mmmmm. OK, OK, so I had half of it drunk before I got it the mile home, so the picture doesn't really do it justice.



Yup, a good day. Hope you had one, too.

8 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh, that sounds like a nice day, visiting friends, spending time in a (wow) 10 building nursery, just doing what you want. Glad you had such a great time - happy planting!

AJ-OAKS said...

Spring is such a beautiful time of year. Everyone is planting color, grass is green, temps are perfect.
Does that building say Stone Cold Creamery? As in the ice cream place?
Yum, nice fresh doughnuts.

Upupaepops said...

tell the truth

did you get Tim Bits as well?

I would

Louise said...

Sigh, no, I managed to forgo the Tim Bits. That's mainly because this particular Tim Horton's shares space with A Cold Stone Creamery and I couldn't resist taking home a pint of their Peanut Butter Cup Perfection.

Sigh, someone gave me a Tim Horton's gift card at Christmas that's also good at this Cold Stone Creamery. I "thought" that they were my friends, lol.

Roses and Lilacs said...

Good morning Louise. I never worked in a large office but as you say, the advantage would be getting to know a lot of coworkers. That's why I enjoy blogging so much. Meeting so many people with common interests.

At the risk of sounding like a know-it-all, I may be able to identify a couple of your mystery plants. It's not that I know it all, or very much for that matter, but I've been gardening since dinosaurs roamed the earth and couldn't help picking up a few names:)

The post office shrub is a viburnum, one of the lace cap varieties, probably American Cranberry V. trilobum. The yellow primrose are oenothera most commonly called sundrops.

I have my annuals waiting to go into the garden too. Another week here before the probability of a frost decreases. Then I just have to find the time to set them all out. I always look forward to planting the annuals. Almost like a ritual, it means gardening season is really here.

Have a great day and enjoy working in the garden!
Marnie

Louise said...

Are you kidding me, Marnie? I'm just thrilled to find someone who is able to identify all of these plants for me. Though I'm old enough to be retired, I didn't start gardening until a few years ago, so there is still a lot I have to learn. I'm trying, though.

I'm going to put this on your blog, also. I hope you see it. Your newest post never showed up. Blogger does this to me, sometimes. I'll see that there is a new post on a blog I follow, but, when I go to it, it won't show up. Mostly, it never does. So, I'll my answer on the post you did on Monday.

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

This delightful, sunny weather is like the best drug in the world for me. I can't stand to be cooped up in the office and at home I don't go in until sundown.

Tina said...

Tim Horton's...woo hoo ....my kind of girl....as for age of friends, I think that doesn't play a part at all in friendships, I have friends of all ages, some are more than fifteen years older than me, we do what girls do best..hang out and have fun.Love all your flowers....they would have no chance with me :( lol