Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Webster Park

I went to a different place yesterday to do my walking. Webster Park is a very old, and very lovely park next to Lake Ontario. The computer blurb about it shows some lovely trails, so I decided to walk one of those.

Apparently, the trails aren't the focal point of the maintenance crew there. They are overgrown, with huge mudholes that make you stop and go back, and there are no trail markers. I got good and lost. I wasn't worried, because I knew that the Lake was on the northern border of the park, so I just kept heading in that direction, and, finally, reached it and got my bearings. The big grump was that I then had to road walk all the way back to where I had parked my car. My poor puppies were hurting by the time I reached it. No more trail walking at Webster Park for me.

In spite of this, I did see loads of interesting things. I found these flowers.

Viper's Bugloss



English Daisies everywhere




Dame's Rockets, too



Horse Chestnuts



And, these tiny, but pretty little blue flowers that were also everywhere. So far, I have not been able to identify them, but, I'll keep trying.

Edited to add that, if I go by Newcomb's Wildflower Guide, this flower is Persian Speedwell. Some pictures I have found of that look distinctly different, but Newcomb's is supposed to the the go to source so I think I'll go with that.




When I got to the lake, I stayed there for a while. It was lovely yesterday, all blue and majestic. It made me want to put my feet in. Some kids did.





Lake Ontario was really at its best yesterday. The water was so clear that you could see all the way to the bottom.



After I rested by the water for a while, I walked back to my car. I took short cuts through the park as much as I could. In spite of my crankiness about getting lost, it really is a lovely place, full of lovely picnic areas, and magnificent trees, from mighty beeches to one valiant old apple tree that I found gamely hanging on.





So, in spite of getting lost, I had a lovely afternoon. Then, I came home and soaked my feet, something which is becoming a bit of a ritual after a long walk, these days.

11 comments:

IsobelleGoLightly said...

I think you need to take a GOAT with you! We'd find the way for you! We have that little pretty flower on our land too. Isn't it lovely?

Upupaepops said...

Getting to know a place, you soon need no trail markers.

Pretty soon getting lost is a pleasure and no worries.

Tina said...

OMG the english daisies reminded me of home, our backyard was full of them all the time. So nice to see, we used to make flower necklaces out of them all the time....oh man that goes back a long long time lol....he he he...Lovely pictures.

Tina said...

Hey I could have waved to you from the other side lol

Tammy said...

Could your mystery flower be creeping charlie? I just had this indentified in my yard by someone on another blog. It doesn't quite look the same, but it's so hard to tell from the pictures. It's pretty invasive if that is what it is... Loved the lake pictures!
Tammy

Louise said...

Isobelle, I would have loved your company, and you would have been a big help getting through areas.

Upupaepops, You're right, and I'll probably try again, when it's not as hot. I was just very glad to see the lake.

Tina, I bought some English daisies on my recent trip to the Amish greenhouses. I'll plant them in the garden, but I'm kind of hoping that they'll spread. Of course, in my yard, they have to compete with the violets.

Tammy, on your suggestion, I checked out creeping charlie and found out it's ground ivy. This plant's leaves are quite similar, but the flower is distinctly different. Good suggestion, though.

Cat said...

A nice walk (with photography), lovely flowers, and a nice soak after. I think I would term that a very nice day!

Cat

(Who thinks Isobelle might have been a good walking partner from your description!)

Terry said...

Oh so pretty! I especially like the field of flowers. Just lovely.

Inger said...

You have the best places to walk and good for you that you take advantage of them.--inger

Neville Henry Fotheringham said...

Beautiful pictures! And I agree with Isobelle - you should bring a goat with you next time! And maybe a little horse like ME, too!

Sharon said...

Nothing like getting a little lost, look at all the things you found! Love the lake and that picture of the rocks under water is really neat looking!