Friday, April 30, 2010

Tomorrow, It Begins Again

Tomorrow is Kentucky Derby Day, when millions of eyes will be focused on Churchill Downs in Kentucky. The premier three year olds in the country will compete.

But, in New York State, many Thoroughbreds, who cannot compete at the upper levels will also be running. And, trainers and owners will be deciding that, for some of them, the time has come to find them a second career.

Tomorrow is the first day of the new season for the volunteers of the Finger Lakes Thoroughbred Adoption Program's Trainer's Listings. We will be on the backside of the track, talking to trainers and owners, taking pictures and descriptions of these horses. Last year, we helped to place over 92 horses. This year, we want to make it more. It's a hard job. The backside is huge, and we go into the year knowing that there will be some who slip through the cracks.

But, over all, it is so rewarding and I'm very excited to be going back. Most of the people on the backside really want to find their horses good homes. They're very grateful for this outlet, that gives their horses nationwide publicity. Horses have gone to Florida, Georgia, Colorado and many other states. And people everywhere that have one, sing the praises of these Finger Lakes Thoroughbreds.

How could they not, with creatures like these?




10 comments:

Tammy said...

Just beautiful and many, many thanks for what you all are doing to try and rehome some of these gorgeous horses. I'm horseless and have been for years, but there is still nothing like a horse to take ones breath away.
Tammy

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Just beautiful...i hope they all find beautiful homes....

Enjoy

Sharon said...

I love watching horses, can't ride, myself though. I hope you find these beauties homes! It sounds like quite an under taking!

Inger said...

Finding homes for animals is so rewarding but never an easy task. Are there any sanctuaries for race horses that don't make the cut or that you can't find a home for? You are wonderful for doing this. All the best and I know you'll keep us updated. -- Inger

IsobelleGoLightly said...

My lady is getting her walking shoes and her papers ready for tomorrow! Maybe there will be the very important GOATS that need new homes too! hee hee

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

I have mixed feelings about the whole thoroughbred-racing sport because so many of the horses need to be rescued. Just beautiful animals and glad y'all can be there.

Tina said...

What beautiful horses. WOW! So majestic.

Louise said...

Canyon Girl, our organization has two branches. One is the Trainer's Listings, where trainers list horses for sale. That's the branch that I work with.

The other branch is the Adoption Center. Horses are donated to FLTAP and, from there, can be adopted by the general public. They placed about 50 horses last year.

So, between the two branches, we do a pretty good job of finding new homes for the horses at Finger Lakes. But, there are always some that slip through the cracks.

Joanna, I understand how you feel and dearly wish that people would stop breeding just because they can. Lowering the number of horses bred is the only way we are going to get a handle on horse welfare.

But, it may interest you to know that there are many more Quarter Horses sent to slaughter each year than Thoroughbreds. The AQHA, in my opinion, bears some serious responsibility for it's habit of encouraging widespread breeding. The Thoroughbred industry is the only group that has widespread options available for retiring race horses. Organizations like FLTAP, CANTER, Turning for Home and many more work hard to find homes for these horses at many of the lower end tracks throughout the country.

OK, off my soapbox now. I could go on for pages about this subject.

Upupaepops said...

Louise get right back up on the soapbox and keep yelling

I am in the process of trying to find a home for my "heart of gold" horse that has a lot more to offer. I cannot even give him away. My intention is to leave horses for a while and then , if I return, use my knowledge and skill on rehab.

Happily I have a contact that has a trusted trainer at the local track forever trying to find sport horse homes for his "soft spot" horses.

Til then I will continue to work and develop my fellow until I find the right loving trusted home for him.

John Going Gently said...

beautiful animals