Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter in the Woods

It was a beautiful day, with good company (Isobelle Golightly's Lady, for those who follow her blog). What better to do than take a walk in the woods. Let me tell you something, Isobelle's Lady is a hiker, and can get around tough spots in the woods like nobody's business.

We walked an old logging trail in. There was coltsfoot everywhere.



A strange thing to find in the middle of the woods, Daffys, and pretty ones.



We found a deer rub.



And made it all the way back to the bay.



Mute swan on the bay.




Heres a small inlet off of the bay that we managed to get close to.




The way out was a bit more adventurous, with no trail and some serious ups and downs. Isobelle's Lady was very nimble on those slopes, but, I landed on my rear, just once, and not hard, but funny.

The find of the day was this small cluster of hepaticas. The picture is washed out, and doesn't show their really beautiful blue. The leaves were just as beautiful as the flower.



There was plenty of skunk cabbage.



And a mystery plant. Who knows what that will grow into?



We also found this group of burrows. It's too big for groundhogs, so we're figuring, maybe, fox.




I was very tired, by the time we got back home. But, we made many good memories, and had a lot of fun. It was the perfect way to spend Easter, with a good friend, and seeing great sights.

6 comments:

IsobelleGoLightly said...

My lady has a nice photo of your bum landing! It doesn't look like an oopsy at all...in fact...it looks like you planned to do just that! hee hee

Upupaepops said...

you will have to go looking for paw marks at the burrows

The mystery plant might be early skunk cabbage shoots

Inger said...

It looks like you had a wonderful Easter Sunday with your friend. Too bad you fell, but I guess I have to go and check out the photo now!!! I love IsobelleGoLightly and I'm so glad I found her through your blog.

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

Sounds great but why don't you take Isobelle with you? Seriously? Keep pointing out certain plants, very helpful for me, such as skunk cabbage, have plenty of it each year but didn't know what it was called.

John Going Gently said...

spring has SPRUNG

lovely photos........

Louise said...

I think you might be right about that mystery plant, Upupaepos. We looked for paw marks and scat near the borrows, cut, ti's been dry, and the sand doesn't hold prints well. No scat either.

I think that Isobelle should learn to go with her lady on a collar and lead. She's a very smart young goat, and could learn really easily. I had to look up and see what the hepaticas were, though I did know skunk cabbage. Upupaepos is a real expert, and I'm trying to learn from her blog how to observe and identify wild plants.