Thursday, July 15, 2010

Holy Smokes! I Finally Found Something Uncommon!

That Mystery Butterfly that I posted about earlier today turned out to be Baltimore Checkerspot (Euphydryas phaeton). I did post it on GardenWeb, and you guys were right, I got an answer almost immediately. Seems it is threatened in several areas because it only feeds on native Chelone, or turtleheads. Whew! Hearing that gave me quite the little rush.

Here it is again.



Hmmm, I wonder if I can find the turtleheads. They're quite distinctive looking.

5 comments:

Cat said...

COOL! The mystery solved, and you have a really neat (and somewhat rare) picture to boot.

Score!

Cat

Upupaepops said...

Start your look for your food plant 100 yards around the spot you saw this butterfly

Congrats on your good find!

Isn't taking a walk fun???

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

How cool is this!! It's really a pretty butterfly Louise--We've had some darker colored ones around and I think I'll pay a bit more attention to them and see what I have flitting around! I really do love butterflies and enjoy seeing them. Also, THANKS for identifying much of what I have growing around me. Up until I started reading your blog, I had no idea what much of it was, and have to admit that I wouldn't look as closely at it, if it weren't for your pictures of how intricate so many of them are!

Sharon said...

Pat self on back! Great find!

Gerry's Soap N Stuff said...

Hi Louise, How exciting to find a rare butterfly. I enjoy walking with you on the trails! You have inspired me to learn more about wildflowers, where they grow and their names. Gerry