Monday, July 12, 2010

The Big Meadow

By last Friday, I was sick of staying inside, so, in spite of the miserable heat and humidity, I went over to the Big Meadow. I figured that, out in the sun like that, I was, at least, safe from the deer flies. I was right, and I actually had a lovely walk.

I had barely set foot on the trail when I spotted a new flower. This is Garden Phlox. Looks a lot like Dame's Rocket, doesn't it. But, the flower of Dame's Rocket has five petals, while the flower of Garden Phlox has five.




The Cow Vetch is going to seed.




As well as the Bladder Campion. If you open the bladder, there is a single seed pod. I wonder if that pod contains multiple seeds?



I found a couple of other new flowers. This is Field Bindweed. Pretty, but a terrible nuisance.



And, this is Creeping Bush Clover (I think, correction welcome). You really have to click on this picture to see the flower.



But, mainly, there were insects gathering pollen. You really have to click on these picture to get a good view.

Milkweed with honeybee, bumblebee and wasp.



Cow Vetch with bumblebees.



Butterfly Bush with honeybees.



But, the crowning beauty of the nectar sipping insects was this Monarch Butterfly, on a Butterfly Bush.



This Japanese Beetle wasn't interested in nectar, he's more of a salad guy.



And, I don't know quite what this little brown moth was interested in. I tried to get a better identification on it, but, do you know how many little brown moths there are? My eyes were crossing.



Or, this Little Yellow Sulphur Butterfly, though I think it might have been the Cow Vetch.



Whatever they were eating, this little White Crowned Sparrow was mainly interested in eating them. Now tell me, why do they name a sparrow with a chestnut crown "white crowned?"

Edited to add that Upupaepops explained why. It's because I got my identification wrong. This is a Chipping Sparrow. Duh!



And, lastly, a couple of pictures just because they're pretty.

Everlasting Pea and Hoary Alyssum. They may be nuisances, but they sure look good together.



And this is my favorite spot on the trail. Every time I come upon it, it's different, but, every time I just have to stop a minute and take it in.

9 comments:

Upupaepops said...

Not a white crowned sparroe

appears to be a Chipping Sparrow, Spizella passerina.

Love the bug and butterfly pics. We just dont have great bugs here.

Roses and Lilacs said...

Your meadow is full of blooms.

I've never gotten a book to ID moths. Like you say, there must be thousands of little brown moths that would drive a person crazy trying to look up in a field guide:)
Marnie

Sandra said...

I congratulate you on heading out in this HOT summer!

IsobelleGoLightly said...

That big meadow trail looks fun! Don't you just want to kick up your heels and scamper down that trail?

Tina said...

Like always awesome pictures, thanks for sharing...love seeing all the flowers and plants and critters, even though I am not a bug fan, they are indeed very interesting.

Terry said...

The butterfly bush is gorgeous, and the alyssum and pea looks like a floral arrangement.

I had 3 error messages trying to comment, and they weren't the usual "you can't type" kind of message.

Sharon said...

I live through you, Louise, I would never be able to take the heat or the walk! Everything is just bursting with life, beautiful!

Thanks!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oooh! The cut swath through the meadow inviting one to explore farher on is lovely!
The butterflies are beautiful, too. As are the butterfly bush and the milkweed. You captured some pretty photos.


~Lisa

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hello!! I thought about you the other day when I started out for a walk in the field and was just bombarded with so many bugs that I turned back--Next time I'll remember the bug spray, or just read your blog, because I continue to really enjoy your "walking-posts!"