Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Something there is that doesn't love a wall.



When my parents were young, right after WWII, they decided that they needed to have a basement area dug out under the dining room. All they had before that was a tiny area, under the oldest portion of the house, where the coal furnace was. Mom needed (wanted) to be able to hang her clothes inside, after they were washed.

So, they hired two young brothers, just back from the war, to do the job. The brothers dug out a basement that is approximately 12' X 16' lined the walls with concrete blocks and laid a cement floor, all for $300. In the process, they dug out many large stones.

Mom and Dad took those stones and built a decorative stone wall. It is still standing today. Though, I do have to figure out a way to get in there and do some straightening up. Those darn stones are heavy! And, there are snakes in there! Just garter snakes, but, still, they give me the heebe jeebes when I come on the unexpectedly.

Hah, I just happened to think about something. That's what happens when you start to tell stories of the old days. That stone wall was my stable area, when I was playing "horse." And, it was the boundary of Sherwood Forest, when "Robin Hood" was the game of choice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have a garter snake living in the rock pile in our backyard too... and the rocks are waaaay to big to even consider moving them. I'm skeeered to death of snakes!

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal