Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Bay

It's a gorgeous day today. The sun is shining, the air is crisp and clear and the sky is blue. I decided to take a little drive, down to a freshwater bay near my house. When the weather is better, I'll walk down there, but, last time I tried, I almost got stuck in a marsh. So, today, I decided that all wheel drive, and a road would be a better bet.

The bay is completely frozen over. This is looking almost across the bay. It's about 1/2 mile across there.



To the North. That's a six lane bridge.



To the South. The little black dots that you can just barely see are ice fishermen.



Here are the frozen footprints of someone brave (or stupid) enough to walk out onto the ice.



You can see, here, how the ice is darker in some places. I think that's because there are currents running under there, and the ice may not be frozen as thick as it is other places.



Duckie footprints. I can't get away from them, no matter where I go.



The Bay is about four miles long. In the summer it is full of all kinds of boats, from kayaks to cabin cruisers and sailboats. Most of the undeveloped shoreline is now protected by the various towns that surround it, so, hopefully, we won't see too much more development.

Hope you enjoyed the little tour.

1 comment:

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

in our community, we recently had a man drown from walkin out onto a "frozen" lake, be careful. The snow-covered bay is beautiful.