Saturday, January 16, 2010

Summer Will Come Again

The temperature is above freezing here, and has been for a couple of days. As a result, the snow is melting, and, as it melts, it becomes progressively more dingy and dirty. It's not a pleasure to look at, any more. This is the part of winter that I don't like. And, this is when I get a little bit antsy and want the flowers to bloom again. So, I went looking for the flower pictures that I took last year. I thought I'd share some of them with you.

My hydrangeas were spectacular last year.



The orange double daylilies outperformed themselves.



As did the yellows




One of my gardens



So, yes, I am a gardener. It's one of the things I am looking forward to being able to do more of, now that I am retired. I am beginning to get the itch to get my hands into God's good earth.

Time to start looking at catalogs.

3 comments:

Phlegmmy said...

Me, too. I don't get a tremendous amount of color because of the shade, but I do miss my 1,000 shades of green!!

foundationmare said...

Gaye, your surroundings (yard? acreage?) are really beautiful. How lucky for you that Webster hasn't completely closed in around you!

Some day I'd like to have more time to garden: I have a black thumb but I love the results of a decent garden. I especially love spring flowers, especially tulips, my faves. Love dahlias too. One year we had a fenceline of enormous dahlias of every color. They were spectacular!

Love hydrangeas too. My old house in Geneva had a gigantic hydrangea bush that just did it's thing every year with nary a hand from me. I dried some of the blooms (still have one on top of a topiary i made) and loved to use the foliage once the flowers were done.

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

I planted some daylillies last Fall, we just moved here last summer, so I have plenty of planting to do, your place looks lovely.