Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Seething Mass

I have a plague. A plague of mallard duckies. It started innocently enough. I looked out of my window and saw a pair of mallards, cleaning up the corn that I put out for the turkeys. Awwwww, how cute! They are adorable critters, with their sweet little waddle, and the way that they plunk themselves down to eat. I liked the way that one was always on watch, while the other ate.

Well, a couple of days later, I looked out and there were six, and a couple of days after that, I managed to get a still photo of them, and counted 19. Tell me that birds don't communicate, and I won't believe you.

My turkeys don't come every day, so there is plenty of food, usually, for the ducks. But, this is getting ridiculous. I put the food out in the afternoon, because that is when the turkeys usually come. The ducks come at dusk. Last night, I looked out, and this is what I saw.



The quality of the film is poor because it was taken with a digital camera usually used for stills, and the lighting at dusk is so poor. But, really, don't you think this is a bit exteme? And, even a bit creepy? If you don't look closely, all you see is a seething mass of something.

I don't know why the stupid things didn't migrate. They always used to. Maybe there are so many fools like me, who put food out, that they have changed their habits. I know the cardinals have. But, they're small, and pretty and they don't eat ten tons of food a day.

No comments: