Sunday, August 14, 2011

Out of My Rear Window 8-14-11

It's a very quiet day at the feeders.  When I first got up, there wasn't much going on at all.  Then, just after I came in from putting out food, I noticed activity in my front yard.  Out of my front window, this is what I saw.


It didn't take them long to find their way to the back.  First a couple joined the usual mad rush of squirrels that occurs whenever the food goes out.
Some weren't so brave, and stood around surveying the situation.
But, eventually got brave and joined the feast.
Many never did get brave enough, and stayed in the side yard.


It didn't make any difference, though.  By the time they left the yard, there wasn't a thing left under the feeder.  I'll give it some time, and then go out and put more feed down.  They're beautiful birds, but, in this number, a real pain in the neck.  They're big eaters, and even bigger poopers.  Not to mention that the fact that they're back means that the young are flying, and that's a sign of Fall.

Have a happy Sunday, everyone.

10 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i know they can be messy, but like you turkeys, i don't get to see these guys here (unless they're streaming overhead in large skeins). so i thoroughly enjoyed them!

Sharon said...

WOW, I know how you feel - just like the workers at a fast food place, when a couple of buses full of kids, pulls up in front! That's a yard full! They are beautiful though and a nice photo op!

Have a great day!

Berts Blog said...

Oh you are so lucky. I dont' know if you remember my recipie for Goose De Le Poop, but I'll send you the link here.

http://fourleggedviews.blogspot.com/2011/05/ok-i-know-this-is-bit-of-creepy-picture.html

with all the goose poop you have there, you can use my recepie and be the most popular person on the block.

Oh I wish I were there to help you mix the stuff.

Have fun
Love
Bert

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I remember living near a little lake in South Carolina and there was a little island in the middle with geese and ducks.
It was a hazard to walk around the lake, and you could never lay out a blanket for a picnic because of all the huge piles of goose poo. Nasty vile stuff. bleh!

Lovely gaggle of geese visitors you had. Bet you'll be happy when they pack there bags and move on to their next stop along the route to their winter home.

~Lisa

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Ooh, My jaw dropped when I saw the second picture !
They are beautiful, must be enroute and stopped for a refill :)
I have two in the yard, sadly the artificial kind...
Awesome picture.
~Jo

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Holy Moosepoops! I guess I should say Goosepoops, Louise! Thanks for stopping by my place & if you hang in there, I'll take you along when we move...:)JP

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Great pictures Louise, I have a feeling your buffet is going to be part of their migration from here on out! :-)

Anonymous said...

They must have had reservations. Perhaps it was someone's birthday. Party at Louise's Restaurant!

Kalyan Panja said...

Simply beautifully captured shots...lovely!

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Looks like your slow day picked up speed real fast :).