Sunday, October 31, 2010

Out of My Rear Window 10/31/10

Ahhhh Fall!  My neighbor did his first clearing of my leaves yesterday, but, you can see that many more have fallen overnight.  He doesn't do my yard in back.  The leaves stay there all winter, and, in the Spring, they just get chewed up with the lawnmower.  I guess that wouldn't be good if I had a "perfect" lawn, but it works just fine with my woodland grass.  The only reason he doesn't the front for me is that I'm afraid that the neighbors, in the McMansions across the street, would get upset if the yard stayed messy all Winter. 

The lilacs haven't turned yet.  They're always one of the last to lose their leaves.  I like having that last bit of green to look at for a while yet.

Sigh, I see that Mr. Squirrel has managed to practically empty out my one bird feeder.  I'll have to fill that up again when I go out.
This fellow is clever enough to have figured out that, if he stays on the ground, he can catch all of the sunflower seeds that the acrobat squirrel drops.
As for Mr. Cardinal, well, he's not smart, he's just doing what Cardinals do, scrounge for food.

Still waiting for the Turkey Ladies to come up and get their cracked corn.

16 comments:

Tina said...

lol at the squirells, they are like bottomless pits aren't they?

Sharon said...

I love your back yard, has been fun watching the critters and the seasons come and go. Never get rid of that window!

Happy Sunday Louise!

Tammy said...

Most of my leaves stay where they fall too, unless a good wind comes along (or I turn the sheep out--they love fallen leaves!), but since I live in the country no one can complain. I have one squirrel--a big red one- who has been venturing across the area in front of the house (Outside the fenced yard). He was eating hackberries for awhile, and I put out nuts and things. Finally got a big sack of walnuts from my Mom and Dad and piled them up for him. He has been working on getting those stashed away! Gives the dogs lots of entertainment and well me too.
Tammy

Sandra said...

The squirrels are just beyond cute! Well, true, they shouldn't really steal the food from the birds... but since you forgot to put something out for them, they have to manage:))

Liesl said...

Those squirrels are lucky to have you look after them through winter. Great pics!

Vicki Lane said...

Great shots and I love the header!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

We have lots of Chickadees at our feeder today and the Junco's are back along with the Flicker. I have to admit to buying a bag of food for the squirrels to keep them out of the feeders, but they'll still make the climb anyway!

I hope you're having a good day!!

Inger said...

Yes, please don't get rid of this weekly feature. It's so much fun to watch the seasons come and go and I am looking forward to winter photos out your window.

John Going Gently said...

winter is almost here!

Judith said...

Mr Cardinal is a handsome fellow.

Jim said...

We don't see many Cardinals in these parts. Great shot Louise. We also leave our leaves till spring....helps with winter protection and adds lots of leaf compost to the soil. It all breaks down by summer.
Jim

My Mind's Eye said...

What a great view you have so many interesting critters and lots of pretty things going on.
I'd never get anything done....ha!! but sometimes I don't anyway.
Happy Meow-O-Ween
Madi and Mom

Terry said...

Hey Louise, I had an error message, so you might get this twice. Anyway, I really enjoy your rear window. We don't have squirrels or cardinals and our turkeys are wild, so it's a pleasure to see yours.

The Redneck Rosarian said...

Great pictures! I never see a Cardinal I don't think of my mother. She loved them...

fromsophiesview said...

Yeah Cardinal..I saw one in Point Pleasant Park last summer 1st time ever...beauty! What's the deal about lawns anyway, natural is the way to go!

Anonymous said...

Great photos. Interesting looking bird the Cardinal.

Shirl x