Sunday, April 29, 2012

Never Say Never

My Promise Mare died three years ago.  At that time, I decided that I would not get another horse.  Horses these days can easily live to be 30 years old, or even more.  I keep my horses for life, in great part because I am afraid of what might happen to them, out there in the wide world.  Since I'm not young any more, I didn't want to chance having a horse outlive me.

While I was volunteering at the track, I saw lots of lovely horses.  But, it was easy to resist them because track Thoroughbreds are all so young.  I no longer volunteer there, so that temptation is behind me.

But, I made many friends in rescue while I was actively involved, and, every once in a while, I still get emails about horses that urgently need homes.  In February, I got such an email.  It was about a mare who was no longer wanted by the family that owned her, because the daughter had lost all interest in horses.  Understandably, they found the expense of keeping a horse that nobody loved to be too much.  This mare was 25 years old.  With the economy today, it's hard to place even young horses, much less old gals like this, who really can do much of anything except a light trail ride now and then.

I pictured some old, decrepit horse, not good for much of anything.  I decided that, since no one else was likely to want her, she stood a good chance of ending up in a bad place.  And, as she was very aged, I thought that there was little probability that she would outlive me.  So, I went to look at her.

I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised.  This is no decrepit old girl.  She's an Appendix Quarterhorse (that's a cross between a Thoroughbred and a Quarterhorse, for those of you who aren't really horse oriented),  a 16.1 chestnut beauty, in fine physical shape, for her age.  I have to admit, I fell in love.  And, I said I would take her.  The people were very good in that they gave her to me.  So, buying her was an expense that I didn't have to face.

I've only had her a couple of months, but I am enjoying her so much.  She's a very smart girl, wise in the ways of the world.  You can almost see her thinking, sometimes.  She tries little disobedient tricks every now and then, just to test me.  But, all you have to do is tell her no and she quits, often with an "Oh heck, can't get away with a thing." expression on her face.  She's calm and steady and strong enough so that I may actually be able to ride her some day, when I lose enough weight (I have lost 40 pounds, but that's another post.)

I've been lucky enough to learn her history.  She came to this area from Virginia when she was six years old.  She's had one foal, a gelding who still is showing at 17 years old.  She has been an event horse, has foxhunted and shown in the hunter/jumpers.  She was a lot of horse when she was young, keen and always ready to go.  I actually have a good friend who, it turns out, knew her in those days.  It always amazes me, what a small world the horse community is.

And now, I'd like to introduce you to Lexy, my new love.  These pictures were taken shortly after I got her, and she still has her Winter coat.  She's shedding out to a beautiful gleaming chestnut color now.  I'm waiting until she's completely shed out, then I'll take some more pictures.  The purple halter, by the way, is gone, replaced by a nice leather one.




28 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

Yey!!!!!!!!!!!And Lexy is beautiful. So nice to hear what's been going on in your life. 40 pounds! I'm very impressed. Please keep us posted on your new love.

TexWisGirl said...

oh, wow! louise, she is a beautiful, big girl! SO glad you two have found each other!

and congrats on 40 lbs. down! another WOW!!! :)

i'm loving having you back in blogland!

Jim said...

'Louise'!!! So good to see you! I know Ron sees you on FB and keeps me up to date! So this is what you have been up to! Lexy! What a beauty she is. I know nothing about horses, only what I pick up from Terry, Cindy and you, but Lexy looks like a younger horse.
How fortunate you both are.
Lovely flowers post for Leontien too.
Good to hear from you.

Dreaming said...

Lucky you... and lucky Lexy. She looks like quite a gal. I love her looks! Congrats on your new equine and on your weight loss. Good for you!

Judith said...

I'm so glad you're back blogging Louise, and i can see why you've been otherwise occupied. What a beautiful girl. And huge congrats on the 40 pounds loss. (Wish I could say the same!)

Tina said...

That makes me so happy to hear. Your horse, your weight loss, and to have you back to blogging. :) Put a smile on my face today.

John Going Gently said...

well done with the weightloss... u and me both!!!

R. Burnett Baker said...

She's beautiful! And glad to see you back at posting again! I'm hoping our weather heads back to summer-like the way it was last month!

Rick

Inger said...

I thought spring would bring you back to blogging about flowers, walks and such. Never did I dream you got a new friend and such a beauty. This is just wonderful news. I am so happy for both of you. She looks so smart in that last picture of her face. Congratulations on the weight loss too, that's so great. And the flowers for Leontien are just beautiful.

KB said...

Lexy is beautiful. I'm so glad that you found her and that she found you. It sounds like a perfect match.

40 lbs!!! Wow!

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment about K. It has been a difficult winter but we're making the best of things. You said that you didn't like holidays... Well, I'm with you now. Her cancer diagnosis was on Christmas Eve and they found lung mets on my birthday eve. Two days that I'll never forget.

Terry said...

That is fantastic news! Heartfelt congratulations! I'm thrilled for you. She's lovely.

Upupaepops said...

Louise in every way I am thrilled for you

40 pounds amazing keep up the good work

a CHESTNUT mare OH you MAD thing!!!

But QHs have a lot of savvy and boy can they pull the strings. Jay was a pro at the cute look and I could never be mad or frustrated at him for long.

I bet you really looked forward to shedding season this year. Rub and brush her to a shine

Tammy said...

Wow, what lovely news! Lucky you and lucky Lexy. She is beautiful. My mare, Lady was about the same color and had a wide blaze and three socks. I had her for 24 years and she passed at 27 due to complications from Cushings. Those old gals are a real treat to be around. Here is to many many years of fun together. And super on the weight loss--please share how you are doing it!
Tammy

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Well congrats! What a bug gorgeous girl she is.
There's an Appendix gelding at the horse rental place that I ride at almost every weekend. He is 27 years old and powerful and fast! He rarely ever walks and prefers to canter and trot. He requires an advanced rider to work with him because he's such a hot blooded boy. I have a feeling he'll live to be 40 as young as he acts. lol!


~Lisa

My Mind's Eye said...

OMC Ms. Louise
Lexy is absolutely a gorgeous mare.
WOW we love her color and her white (is that called Blazing) nose.
You gave her a new leash on life but I expect she has given you one too.

Congrats and hugs and nose taps.
Madi and Mom

My Mind's Eye said...

PS we got so carried away with Lexy's pictures we forgot to say WELL done on the diet.
M&M

Lisa Sall - Sall's Country Life said...

Lexy, you lucky lady!! And Louise I'm so happy for you finding a new older friend! Good job on the weight loss, good luck in continuing I'd love to see a picture of you riding Lexy!!

Unknown said...

Great to see you back. Boom & I think Lexy is stunning. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Reena said...

Yea, you are back! And congrats on the weight loss. I've been working on my loss as well. Lexy is a beauty and it's so great you have taken her in. Lucky girl!

Anonymous said...

What exciting news! Congratulations to you and Lexy both.

Folkways Note Book said...

I am so glad you are back posting. Today's post is lovely. I know this lady will fill your life with loving treasures. I had a friend that swore she would never have another dog and now at 85 she has two older dogs. People don't like to adopt older animals. So nice to hear that you are giving Lexy a good home. -- barbara

Unknown said...

Oh how wonderful!!! You know how I love a chestnut and your Lexy is sure pretty!

Vicki Lane said...

What a wonderful thing for Lexy! And, I suspect, for you. Major congratulations on the weight loss -- if only I could do the same . . .

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Louise, I'm so glad to see that you are thoroughly enjoying Lexy! It was time...:)JP

rosek1870 said...

Glad to see you back I missed your backyard pictures! Lexy is beautiful and I can see why you fell in love with her. Good luck on the weight loss I know how hard it is. Have a great weekend!!

Sandra said...

Lexy is such a beautiful lady, and a lucky one at that. I am glad she became part of your family, I am sure you will both enjoy each other:)

And big congratulations on the weight loss! Wow! keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

well, aren't you both just so lucky! she's a great looking horse and i bet she'll be lots of fun on the trail. i can't wait to read more about her and your adventures together.

Anonymous said...

Lexy is amazing. How lucky she is to find you, and I know you feel the same too. I'm happy for you newly found friend.

Good luck to both of you, on your weight loss, keep it up.