Sunday, November 6, 2011

Out of My Rear Window 11-6-11

It's a beautiful Fall day here.  The temperature started out in the 30's, but got up into the 60's.  Saturday was gorgeous, too.  Nice weather for walking campaign literature, which I have been doing both days.  I'm done for this election season, and it's a good thing because my feet fell a little like raw meat.

There is a new gentleman showing up at the feeder lately.  This guy is a very handsome six-pointer.  He's very skittish, thank goodness.
The turkey ladies were gone all week, but, today they were back in force.  They do this every once in a while, and I always worry until I see them again.  Tucker, the feral cat, does the same thing, and I worry just as much about him.
And, just to prove that I'm not the only one who likes to look out of my rear window, here's a short video of Becky doing the same.  Guess what she's looking at so intently?  I'll post the answer tomorrow morning.

Added Monday morning:  Becky is watching leaves fall.  They are coming down like rain right now and she is absolutely fascinated with them.  She spends hours on that chair, just watching.  
And, finally, I wanted to pay tribute to the great Jumper, Hickstead, who died today in Verona, Italy, right after completing his round.  He collapsed on the course.  Cause of death isn't known, but speculation is high that it was a heart attack.  Competition was canceled after his death.

Hickstead was one of the great names in show jumping.  His partnership with his rider, Eric Lamaze, was one of the most successful in recent history.  My heart goes out to Eric, and all of the connections of this wonderful horse.  It will be a long time before we see his like again.

18 comments:

Sharon said...

Okay, so I had to count the turkeys - I worry about them too.

Becky watching leaves fly or birdies?

Sorry about the horse - do you think someone did something to it?

Time to relax and soak those tired feet!

Terry said...

Is the flock growing?
It looks like Becky has found a flitting little bird?
Had not heard the sad news about Hickstead.

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about thr jumper. He's a real beauty!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

My Mind's Eye said...

Oh we are so sorry about Hickstead...what a beautiful jumper...such a fine specimen and looks so healthy too....

I'm glad you had good weather for your literature distribution.
What a beautiful deer...I'm glad he is skittish too.
Hugs Madi and Mom

Inger said...

I hadn't heard about Hickstead either. What a beautiful horse he was. What fun to see the turkey ladies and that beautiful buck. So many beautiful critters come by outside your window, and I wonder what Becky may have in her sights.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oooh! I love that you have deer visiting your backyard. What a thrill. And the turkey ladies are visiting. Yay!

Very sad about the loss of such powerful, talented and special Jumper horse.

~Lisa

Janet said...

Poor Hickstead- how old was he ?
Lovely buck - he looks so delicate !
Hmm Was Becky watching a squirrel or maybe a chipmonk ?

TexWisGirl said...

i always love to see the wildlife you have there. the buck is beautiful!

i feel terrible for that rider. how devastating...

Anonymous said...

Shocked and deeply saddened about Hickstead. Poor Eric.

Anonymous said...

Shocked and deeply saddened about Hickstead. Poor Eric.

Upupaepops said...

Louise we stared in the 30's and pretty much stayed there all day. It snuck into the mid 40 for some.

Hickstead was 15 and in his prime. He had that something extra, some might call it ego, that attitude that makes a winner

The security in FEI stabling ( at these elete shows) is very high. Even the show management gets security screened when they go in the barns.

venous/ arterial ruptures unfortunately happen in even the best kept horses. They make for a very suddun onset of death. The film shows a horse taken down in an instant.

Dreaming said...

I love the video of Becky. She is so excited about the.... leaves?! Whatever it was, her head was going all over watching it (them?) and she wanted to pounce in the worst way!!!
The buck is beautiful. He looks like he is in great health.
Thanks for sharing the information about Hickstead. I don't follow show news so I had no idea. How sad.

Reena said...

Just catching up after being away ... sad about the jumper. I love horses. You do have a great number of squirrels. For some reason, mine have all moved on elsewhere except for a couple.

Jim said...

I tell you looking out your window is like being at a wildlife park! Good to see the 'ladies' again too!
Becky is definitely looking at some bird.....I think.

KB said...

The turkey ladies are looking good, and your yard is looking like autumn.

It's cool that Becky likes to look out the same window as you!

fromsophiesview said...

My horsey friends mentioned Hickstead and now I'm up to speed...such a lose. Love da vid, gurl!

Terry said...

Louise, I follow this nice blog -
http://abritintn.blogspot.com/2011/11/turkey-trot.html
She has turkeys at her feeder too.

My Mind's Eye said...

Just drop by to say HI and we miss you. This weekend mom starts her cleaning spurt in prep for next week's visitors so we wanted to say
Happy Thanksgiving
Hugs Madi and Mom